On December 5, 2019, Mayor Leroy J. Sullivan, Sr., the Donaldsonville City Council, and others will host the grand opening of Fire Station #110 at 911 Marchand Drive at 9 a.m.
The ribbon cutting will honor former City of Donaldsonville-appointed Fire Chiefs and provide a brief history of the Department since its formal inception in 1927 when an ordinance organizing a Fire Board for the City of Donaldsonville was introduced and included an election for a chief of the fire department to supervise the department, equipment, and be in charge of the several companies.
The history of the Donaldsonville Fire Department dates back some 146 years (circa December 8, 1873) when the Phoenix Fire Company #1 was established. Honorees for the opening will include Fire Chiefs G.J. Mistretta, Lorenzo Milano, Pasquale Fontana, August F. Bradford, Kirk P. Landry, Chuck D. Montero, and James MacDonald, although numerous other volunteer chiefs and captains played a significant role in the development of the department.